- Corporate & Business
- Intellectual Property, Copyright & Trademark
- Prepaid Card Services
- Technology & E-Commerce
- Creighton University School of Law, J.D., 1984
- Creighton University, BSBA, 1981
Terrence P. Maher
1700 Farnam Street
Omaha, NE 68102-2068
Terrence P. Maher is a member of the Corporate Section and the Technology and Intellectual Property Practice Group of the firm. He focuses his practice on technology, electronic commerce and financial services law.
Terry regularly counsels financial institutions and other financial services businesses with respect to their electronic banking, merchant-acquiring, electronic fund transfer, credit card, debit card and prepaid card businesses. He assists financial institution clients in addressing regulatory matters, including privacy and security issues, anti-money laundering compliance programs, and money service business licensing issues. As advisor to companies in the credit card, debit card and prepaid card processing industry internationally, he negotiates services agreements and independent sales organization, BIN, agent bank, and association contracts. He also has extensive experience with card and merchant portfolio mergers and acquisitions, and represents companies in matters with Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.
Terry has broad experience representing emerging companies and large corporate and governmental clients in all phases of information technology matters. He handles domestic and international matters involving inbound and outbound licensing and development, distribution, OEM, VAR, joint development, marketing and branding. His outsourcing experience includes representation of large vendors and customers on projects that range from traditional IT outsourcing (desktop, mainframe, network, web development and hosting applications) to various back office and business process transactions.
Terry is a member of the Nebraska and Colorado Bar Associations. He serves as general counsel to the Network Branded Prepaid Card Association and formerly chaired the Subcommittee on Electronic Commerce of the Committee of the Law of Commerce in Cyberspace of the Section of Business Law of the American Bar Association. He has also served as legal counsel to the Working Group on Certification Authorities of the Internet Law and Policy Forum and on the executive committee for the Rocky Mountain Region of the American Electronics Association.
Terry is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2011 (copyright 2010 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC), and 2009 Great Plains Super Lawyers for his work in Information Technology Law.
Selected Practice Highlights
- Represented to primary trade association for the network branded prepaid card industry in formulation of regulations by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network of the United States Department of the Treasury.
- Chaired a working group which formulated the leading practices for anti-money laundering compliance for issuers of network branded prepaid cards, which was referenced by the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council in its 2010 revision of the Bank Secrecy Act Anti-Money Laundering Examination Manual.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Colorado, 1987
- Nebraska, 1984
- Terrence P. Maher quoted in American Banker.com
- Terrence P. Maher quoted in PayNews
- Terrence P. Maher quoted in PAY news
- Terrence P. Maher quoted in Pay News e-newsletter
- Terrence Maher Quoted in Payments Source Article
- Terrence P. Maher quoted in Pay News article
- Terrence P. Maher quoted in Quartz article
- Terrence P. Maher to co-chair and speak at National Forum on Emerging Payment Systems
- Terrence P. Maher quoted in PayBefore.com article
- Terrence P. Maher to present at National Forum on Prepaid Card Compliance
- Terrence P. Maher quoted in Prepaid Card article on the TheStreet.com
- Terrence P. Maher quoted in Tampa Bay Tribune
- Terry Maher to join panels at IAFCI Annual International Training Seminar
- Terrence P. Maher to Present Bankerstuff.com Webinar: Interchange Fee Merchant Settlement
- Terrence P. Maher will present at NACHA Electronic Check Council May Meeting
- Terry Maher will Present at 24th Annual Card Forum & Expo
- Terry Maher Will Present at ABA Conference
- Terry Maher Quoted in BNA Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- Terry Maher Quoted in a News Brief on Paybefore News' Website
- Terry Maher Quoted in Wall Street Journal Article
- Terry Maher Quoted in Digital Transactions Article
Seminars & Events
- Solving Technology-Related Legal Problems: Avoiding a Bad Day in the C-Suite
- Baird Holm Payment Services Meeting
- Baird Holm CLE Program: November 3, 2010
- Baird Holm CLE Program: August 25, 2010
Professional and Civic Affiliations
- Nebraska State Bar Association