Barbara E. Person primarily represents health care clients, concentrating on corporate compliance, Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, Medicare fraud and abuse, EMTALA, physician practice and other health business acquisition, medical staff issues, tax exemption, practitioner licensure and sanctions, physician contracts, pharmacy and nonprofit corporations.
Barbara served as law clerk to the Honorable William C. Hastings, Judge, Nebraska Supreme Court from 1985-1986. She served as a Board member (1993—1999) and as President (1997—1998) of the Nebraska Chapter of the Healthcare Financial Management Association. Since 2001, Barbara has been selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Health Care Law and was named the Best Lawyers’ 2019 Health Care Law “Lawyer of the Year” for Omaha. She is also rated AV Preeminant® by Martindale-Hubbell, and has been named a 2019 Woman Leader in Law by the Corporate Counsel & The American Lawyer magazines. Barbara is included on the Chambers USA (© 2013) list.
Barbara is a frequent lecturer to many organizations, including the American Academy of Healthcare Attorneys, the Nebraska Hospital Association, the Iowa Hospital Association, the Healthcare Financial Management Association (Nebraska and Iowa Chapters), the Nebraska Mental Health Association, the Nebraska Association of Medical Staff Services and Nebraska Continuing Legal Education, Inc., on such topics as corporate compliance, EMTALA, privacy of protected health information, credentialing, and fraud and abuse
Areas of Practice
- University of Nebraska College of Law, J.D., 1985
- University of Nebraska at Lincoln, B.A., 1981
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Omaha Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Chair, Conference for Mercy Higher Education
- Past President, Nebraska Chapter of the Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Past Secretary, Women’s Fund of Greater Omaha
- Past Chair, Board of Directors of College of Saint Mary
- Past Chair, Board of Directors of Covenant Ministries of Benevolence, an affiliate of the Evangelical Covenant Churches of America
- Past President, Board of Directors of Santa Monica, Inc.
- ICAN, Influence, Class XI
Bar & Court Admissions
- Iowa, 1996
- Nebraska, 1985
Selected Practice Highlights
- Assisting hospitals in reorganizations, affiliations with regional health systems, hospital asset transfers, hospital management agreements, and medical practice asset acquisitions.
- Assisting in all aspects of EMTALA compliance, including medical and nursing staff education and policy development, and defending EMTALA investigations and civil monetary penalties
- Advising on medical staff bylaws and governance, and representing hospitals in medical staff focused review and discipline cases
- Educating and advising on Medicare and Medicaid compliance
- Representing institutional providers and practitioners in Medicare and Medicaid recoupment actions, repayments and self-disclosures
- Defending false claims investigations by US Attorneys’ offices and the Office of Inspector General