John R. Holdenried provides a full range of health law services to healthcare providers, with a concentration on regulatory, transactional, and contracting issues; managed care contracting and network formation; tax exemption; and corporate compliance issues, including reimbursement, tax, Stark, and fraud and abuse.
John was the Managing Partner of the firm from 2001-2009. From 1975 to 1977, he served as law clerk to the Honorable Warren K. Urbom, United States District Court for the District of Nebraska.
John is very active in local, regional and national health care associations, including the American Health Lawyers Association for which he served on the Board of Directors and was Program Chair of the annual AHLA Tax Issues for Healthcare Organizations Program for several years. He is also an emeritus member of the IRS Council for Tax Exempt and Governmental Entities-Great Lakes Region.
He is a frequent presenter at programs of the American Health Lawyers Association. He has also spoken at regional and local programs sponsored by state hospital associations, state hospital attorney societies, and chapters of the Healthcare Financial Management Association and the Health Care Compliance Association. Topics on which he has spoken include duties of hospital directors, physician recruitment, physician practice acquisition, managed care, accountable care organizations, corporate compliance programs, tax exemption issues, Stark, fraud and abuse, fair market value, and rural hospital issues. Since 1991, John has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Health Care Law. In 2013, John was selected as Best Lawyers’ Omaha Health Care Law Lawyer of the Year. John has also been named in Chambers USA (© 2013) and Great Plains Super Lawyers since 2007 for his work in Health Care Law. He has passed the Iowa Uniform Certified Public Accounting Examination.
Areas of Practice
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1975
- Creighton University, B.S., Business Administration, magna cum laude, 1972
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- American Health Lawyers Association, prior Board of Directors, Program Chair of Tax Program, and Vice Chair of Tax and Finance Practice Group
- Iowa Society of Healthcare Attorneys, former President
- Nebraska Chapter of Healthcare Financial Management Association
- IRS Council for Tax Exempt and Governmental Entities- Great Lakes Region
- New Cassel, Inc., Board of Directors
- Prior community activities include board membership of Alzheimer’s Association of the Midlands Chapter (President), One World Community Health Center, Inc. (President), South Omaha Affordable Housing (Board Secretary), St. Margaret Mary Parish (Board of Education, Parish Council, and Finance Committee), Family Housing Advisory Services (President), Big Brothers-Big Sisters of the Midlands (President), Leadership Omaha participant (1983-1984), and Instructor for Legal Research and Writing, Creighton University School of Law (1981—1987)
Bar & Court Admissions
- Nebraska, 1975
- Iowa, 1992
- United States District Court of Nebraska, 1975
Selected Practice Highlights
- Establishing and advising PHOs, PPOs, and other managed care entities
- Assisting clients in negotiating and reviewing managed care and shared risk contracts
- Drafting physician employment compensation plans and contracts
- Drafting and negotiating physician co-management arrangements
- Counseling tax-exempt clients on compliance issues
- Counseling hospital boards on fiduciary and compliance duties
- Counseling physician groups on structure, contracts and operational issues
- Representing clients in transactions for purchase, sale, and affiliations of healthcare providers
- Counseling on corporate organization and structure issues of tax-exempt organizations
- Drafting and counseling on hospital-physician joint ventures
Selected Recent Publications
- Tax Issues; AHLA Representing Hospitals and Health Systems Handbook, 2017
- Fair Market Value Issues. Avoiding Trouble; Health Law Handbook, 2014 Edition, Thomson Reuters
- “ACOs—IRS Notice Leaves Many Questions,” AHLA Connections, August 2011
- “Tax and Tax Exemption in Transactions,” Health Law Practice Guide, American Health Lawyers Association.