Michael C. Schilken applies more than 20 years of knowledge to the needs of clients in sophisticated planning for closely-held businesses. Michael is a member of the firm’s Trust & Estates practice group.
Michael represents clients in a wide variety of matters related to closely-held businesses. His representation of clients involves real estate activities, providing advice for structuring business transactions, structuring business succession plans, and generally coordinating clients’ estate planning arrangements with their businesses and real estate. He also has represented clients involving numerous real estate private placement syndications. Michael received his Juris Doctor from Creighton University in 1990. Prior to attending law school, he received a B.S. in Accounting from the University of Colorado.
Since 2012, Michael has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of Corporate Law and Trusts and Estates.
- Creighton University School of Law, J.D., 1990
- University of Colorado, B.S. Accounting
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Children’s Hospital Board, Omaha, Nebraska (Current)
- Fashion Institute Midwest, Omaha, Nebraska (Current)
- Hockey Coach, Omaha Hockey Club, U-12 and Select Hockey (2006—Present)
- Lacrosse Coach, Omaha Lacrosse Club, U-13 (2012—Present)
- Project Coordinator for Omaha Attorney Sponsored House Project, Habitat for Humanity (Summer 2004, 2007, 2008, and 2011).
- Member of Board of Directors and Treasurer, Omaha Metropolitan Amateur Hockey Association (2006—2010)
- Member of the Aksarben Ball Floor Committee (2000—2010).
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Nebraska Council to Prevent Drug and Alcohol Abuse (2000—02).
- Member of Omaha Chamber of Commerce Membership Committee (2002—2006).
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Cantorum Foundation (2000—2010).
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Lions Eye Bank (1997—99).
- Board of Directors for Nebraska Special Olympics, Inc., President (1994—95), President-Elect (1993—94, Treasurer (1994—96), Secretary (1996—97), Chairman of the Personnel Committee (1993—94), and Chairman of the Development Committee (1995—98). Term expired on June 30, 1997.
- 1995 appointed to serve as a Board of Directors Trainer for Special Olympics United States Chapters under a grant from Kellogg Corporation.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Nebraska, 1990
Selected Practice Highlights
- Currently representing various local, multi-state, and international business organizations including retailers, manufacturers and distributors.
- Successfully undertaking numerous real estate private placement syndications.
- Structuring numerous business succession plan arrangements for a wide variety of closely-held businesses.
Selected Recent Publications
- “How to Bullet Proof a Child’s Inheritance,” Colorado Lawyer
- Named as one of America’s Top 100 Lawyers, Worth Magazine, December 2006
- AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale Hubbell (Highest Peer Rating)
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America publication