Jon E. Blumenthal represents clients with respect to real estate and secured lending, including the purchase and sale of real estate, sanitary and improvement districts, construction planning, financing matters, foreclosures, leasing, bankruptcy/workouts and insolvency matters. He also advises clients regarding general business issues.
Jon is a 1996 graduate of the University of Kansas School of Law. He served on the Nebraska State Bar Association’s Real Estate Practice Guidelines Committee from 2002—2009, and completed the Nebraska State Bar Association’s inaugural Leadership Academy in 2007.
Jon chairs the Firm’s Real Estate section. In 2015, the American College of Real Estate Lawyers elected Jon as a Fellow. Since 2010, Jon has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of real estate law, and is also listed in Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (© 2013). In 2004, Jon was named one of Ten Outstanding Young Omahans by the Omaha Jaycees, and was also a recipient of the 2004 Midlands Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 Award. Jon has also been recognized by Great Plains Super Lawyers in the practice area of Real Estate. Jon served as the Firm’s hiring partner from 2003—2007.
Areas of Practice
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 1996
- University of Iowa, B.A., Political Science, 1993
Bar & Court Admissions
- Nebraska, 1996
- United States District Court, District of Nebraska, 1996
- Iowa, 2003
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
Selected Practice Highlights
- Past Chair of NSBA Real Estate annual CLE seminar and steering committee member of Omaha Commercial Real Estate Summit.
- Advising numerous businesses regarding real estate sale, purchase, land use and leasing issues, including large retail and industrial centers.
- Representing and counseling some of Omaha’s largest corporations with respect to the construction of new headquarters and corporate campuses.
- Obtaining sizable Tax Increment Financing awards for multiple development projects.
- Representing banks and insurance companies in connection with secured loans totaling in excess of $700,000,000.
- Representing franchisor in 40-site real estate sale.
- Successfully handling numerous bankruptcy cases for creditors.
- Representing one of Omaha’s fastest-growing companies with respect to the purchase of its new manufacturing facility.
- Representing the developer of Nebraska’s first privately developed C-BED wind energy projects, including an 80 megawatt wind project in Bloomfield, Nebraska.
Selected Recent Publications
- Words of Wisdom for Young Lawyers from Patrick Swayze, Fall 2018 edition of The American Bar Association Journal.
- Changing the Game in Commercial Real Estate Contracts, November/December 2015 edition of The Nebraska Lawyer.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Program Moderator, Midwest Real Estate News Annual Omaha Commercial Real Estate Summit, November 11, 2021, La Vista, Nebraska