Mark J. Goldsmith represents employers in all aspects of employment litigation and arbitration, with a focus on defending against claims of discrimination, retaliation, and wrongful termination. Mark practices in both state and federal courts, with years of experience handling Title VII, ADA, ADEA, and FMLA litigation through trial and on appeal.
Prior to joining the firm, Mark practiced for more than ten years in California, litigating employment, commercial, trade secret, and professional-liability matters. Mark’s background and experience enables him to counsel and advocate for employers located in California and those with California-based employees. In addition to litigating civil actions filed in California state and federal courts, Mark also assists employers with a number of employment issues, such as drafting and negotiating separation agreements, navigating compliance with California’s labor and employment laws and regulations, and responding to claims filed with the Labor Commissioner’s Office and the Department of Fair Employment and Housing.
Mark received his Bachelor’s Degree from the University of California, Los Angeles, before graduating from Washington and Lee University School of Law in 2006. Mark is a licensed and active member of the Nebraska, California, Iowa, and Kansas bars, and he has litigated extensively in both state and federal court. Mark is a fellow of the American Board of Trial Advocates, and he has been recognized on multiple occasions as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers®.
Areas of Practice
- Washington and Lee School of Law, J.D., 2006
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A. 2003
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Nebraska State Bar Association Leadership Academy
Bar & Court Admissions
- California, 2006
- Nebraska, 2017
- Kansas, 2019
- Iowa, 2021
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States District Court for the District of Nebraska
- United States District Court for the District of Kansas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Selected Practice Highlights
- Securing summary judgment and pretrial dismissal of several lawsuits, including claims of discrimination, retaliation, professional liability, and trade-secret misappropriation.
- Successfully defending businesses in multiple jury trials before federal and state courts.
- Arguing and obtaining decision in Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, affirming dismissal of age discrimination claims against employer defendant.
- Obtaining “no reasonable cause” determinations for employers in administrative charges of discrimination.
- Successfully defending labor arbitration proceeding against employer.