A Different Kind of Law Firm
We believe the things that make us different should be celebrated. We embrace diversity because we know that it fosters innovation, groundbreaking thinking, and true collaboration.
- Our collegial, professional environment creates solid mentoring and work relationships throughout the firm that help all attorneys and staff advance their careers.
- We provide a variety of benefits to help each individual balance work and life, including a comprehensive parental leave policy and domestic partner health benefits.
- We actively recruit qualified minority candidates and attend national and regional minority recruiting fairs to seek new candidates for the firm.
- Female partners serve as section leaders of one-fourth of the firm’s practice sections.
- Female partners chair the Diversity Committee and the Women’s Initiative, an internal organization that meets periodically to enhance business development opportunities for women.
Our Diversity Initiatives
We have been recognized by the Nebraska State Bar Association as a recipient of the inaugural 2010 NSBA Diversity Award and the 2012 Diversity Award.
Our diversity initiatives include:
- Two annual $5,000 diversity scholarships are awarded to students at the University of Nebraska College of Law and Creighton University School of Law.
- A gold level sponsorship of the Nebraska Bar Association LSAT Prep Award. The LSAT Prep Scholarship Program assists minority individuals with preparing for the LSAT exam by covering the costs of a Preparatory Course and registration for the LSAT exam.
- Independently awarding financial assistance for LSAT preparation in conjunction with Creighton University and the University of Nebraska.
- Inviting members of the Goodrich Scholarship Program and Project Achieve at the University of Nebraska at Omaha and TRIO program students at Creighton University with career interests in law to participate in networking events with local attorneys. These programs were established to increase minority successes at the undergraduate level and enrich first-generation, limited income, and/or disabled students with academic skills.
- Sponsoring the University of Kansas School of Law’s Diversity in Law Banquet since 2008. The annual banquet celebrates the ways in which diversity enriches KU Law and affords students an opportunity to share ethnic and cultural differences with the KU law community, including alumni and local firms.
- Annually sponsoring and participating in the Nebraska State Bar Association’s Legal Diversity Summit.
- Acting as a corporate sponsor of the annual ICAN Women’s Leadership Conference, a one-day conference that aims to empower Omaha women. Jacqueline Pueppke, a partner with Baird Holm, serves on the ICAN board of directors.
Diversity Is Part of Our Life’s Work
Our work not only involves representing diverse individuals and communities but also advocating the challenge of discriminatory practices.
Significant examples include:
- Regularly assisting clients in overcoming legal barriers to hiring diverse individuals from around the world.
- Advising clients on the establishment and implementation of Affirmative Action and diversity plans.
- Regularly assisting persons in challenging housing discrimination, both individually and on behalf of groups who advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities.
- Regularly advising clients on compliance with laws concerning discrimination in housing and construction.