Gary W. Radil, an attorney with more than fifty years of experience with the firm, continues to actively represent clients with respect to issues concerning business planning, estate planning and administration, taxation, employee benefits and nonprofit and charitable organizations. With a background in agriculture, he works with individuals and estates, as well as family owned and closely held businesses, regarding business, entity formation, retirement, wealth transfer and succession planning, involving both tax and non-tax issues. Gary represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service and, if necessary, in various state and federal courts, in connection with estate and trust disputes, income, estate and gift tax audits and other tax controversies. He has also been involved in the merger, sale and acquisition of various types of businesses and has experience in tax and business aspects of business reorganizations.
Gary graduated with high distinction from the University of Nebraska at Lincoln in 1964 and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received his law degree in 1967 from the Harvard Law School. He is a member of the Nebraska State Bar Association and its section on Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law, for which he is a past chairperson. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, for which he serves as a member of the Section on Taxation and its Closely Held Businesses and Exempt Organizations Committees; and the Section on Real Property, Probate and Trust Law and its Business Investment Entities, Partnerships, LLCs and Corporations Committee.
Gary has been elected a Fellow in both the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and the American College of Tax Counsel. He is “AV” rated by Martindale-Hubbell. He has been listed in Great Plains Super Lawyers© since 2007 for the area of estate planning and probate. Gary has been included in the Best Lawyers in America® since 1993 and is currently listed for the practice areas of Tax Law, Trusts and Estates, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, and Nonprofit/Charities Law. Gary was designated by Best Lawyers in America® the Nonprofit/Charities Lawyer of the Year in Omaha in 2013 and as the Tax Lawyer of the Year in Omaha for the years 2011 and 2014.
Gary has presided or appeared at numerous seminars, including the Great Plains Federal Tax Institute, Nebraska Continuing Legal Education, the American Hospital Association, the Nebraska CPA Society and various other continuing legal education groups, speaking on topics concerning taxation , employee benefits, estate planning and probate, business planning and exempt organizations.
Areas of Practice
- Harvard Law School, LL.B., 1967
- University of Nebraska at Lincoln, B.A., 1964
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- American College of Tax Counsel
- Pension Council of the Midlands
- Omaha, Nebraska and American Bar Associations
- Board of Directors and President, (2012-2014) for Nebraska State Bar Foundation
- Board of Directors and Past President, Nebraska Children’s Home Society
- Trustee for Omaha Home for Boys
- Past Director of Omaha Symphony, Opera Omaha, and Visiting Nurse Association of Omaha
Bar & Court Admissions
- Nebraska, 1967
- United States Tax Court
Selected Practice Highlights
- Successfully representing fiduciaries and beneficiaries in estate and trust administrations contested by the Internal Revenue Service, including an estate with assets in excess of 2 billion dollars
- Representing some of the largest private foundations in the region, including audits by the Internal Revenue Service and advice concerning operational requirements
- Successfully representing companies in mergers, sales and acquisitions
- Establishing ESOPs and advising of ongoing compliance requirements
- Assisting individuals and families in complex wealth transfer, charitable and estate planning matters