Nonprofit & Tax-Exempt Organizations
Non-profit and tax exempt organizations require legal representation from attorneys who are well-versed with their particular situations. Baird Holm has extensive experience advising non-profit and tax exempt organizations in all stages of their life cycle. Our attorneys act as strategic partners, supporting our clients to create and operate tax exempt entities in furtherance of their goals. We regularly advise tax-exempt organizations on:
- Corporate Structure Analysis and Drafting Organizational Documents
- Obtaining 501(c)(3) or Other Tax-exempt Status
- Public Charity Support Determinations
- Private Foundation Compliance, including Self-Dealing, Program-Related Investments, Non-Lobbying Advocacy, Qualifying Distributions, and Scholarship Programs
- Supporting Organizations
- Directors and Officers Fiduciary Duties, Conflicts of Interest, and other Governance Matters
- Exit Strategies, Including Assets Sales, Mergers and Dissolutions
- Tax Issues
- Tax-exempt Financing
- Unrelated Business Income Tax, Private Benefit, and Excise Tax Issues
- Regulatory Audits and Tax Court Disputes
- Avoidance of Sanctions and Penalties
Additionally, we represent the interests of school districts and nonprofit entities in breach of contract, discrimination, and tort actions.
Who We Represent
Our roster of past and present clients includes public charities, private foundations, governmental and quasi-governmental entities, healthcare organizations, educational institutions, social welfare organizations, cultural and arts organizations, religious institutions, research and trade industry organizations, and the directors, officers, and other individuals who are involved with the organizations. This diverse experience represents our unique capability to handle the needs of non-profit and tax exempt organizations of all shapes and sizes.
Our attorneys play an important role with non-profit organizations both inside and outside of the office. We serve on numerous nonprofit boards and special interest committees within the community. Baird Holm attorneys have authored articles and presented lectures for a variety of publications and conferences directed toward lawyers, accountants, and the non-profit community.