Grayson Derrick serves as Chair of the Firm’s Technology and Intellectual Property Section, leads the Firm’s Privacy and Data Protection practice group, and is a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee. Gray assists clients with negotiating agreements for software development and licensing, technology acquisition and other information technology and information security matters. He handles a wide range of matters relating to various aspects of intellectual property law, including domestic and international trademark prosecution, copyright prosecution and resolving domain name and other Internet related conflicts. He also assists clients in addressing regulatory matters, including privacy and security issues, data privacy law compliance, anti-money laundering compliance programs, and money transmitter/money service business licensing issues.
Gray has been named an “IP Star” in Nebraska by Managing Intellectual Property from 2013-2022.
Gray received a Juris Doctor, with distinction, in 2001 from the University of Nebraska College of Law. He received a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, with Honors, from the University of Florida in 1997.
Areas of Practice
- University of Nebraska College of Law, J.D., 2001
- University of Florida, B.A., Political Science, 1997
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Innovative Payments Association (Regulatory Counsel)
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section Member
- Lauritzen Gardens Board of Directors
- Community Alliance Board of Directors
- Leadership Omaha, Class 31
- Nebraska Bar Association
- 2011 Recipient of the Ten Outstanding Young Omahans Award
- Nebraska Infragard (an association of businesses, academic institutions, state and local law enforcement agencies, and the FBI created to help protect the critical national infrastructure)
Bar & Court Admissions
Selected Practice Highlights
- Extensive experience negotiating technology contracts and license agreements on both the vendor and customer side
- Maintaining trademark portfolios for companies throughout the United States
- Representing one of the nation’s largest money transmitters with regard to money transmitter reporting requirements
- Representing a large national retailer on money transmitter and anti-money laundering issues
- Counseling health care providers with regard to mission critical technologies, including electronic medical record systems
Selected Recent Publications
- “Electronic Payment Systems: Law & Emerging Technologies,” Chapter editor, American Bar Association, 2018.
- “The CFPB’s Prepaid Rule: Positive Changes & Compliance Challenges,” Pay Magazine, Spring 2017.