David C. Levy represents clients in zoning, land use, energy, municipal law and general real estate matters. He is resident in the firm’s Omaha and Lincoln offices.
David represents developers of wind and solar energy generation projects in Nebraska, Iowa and Kansas on over 1,350 megawatts of operating projects, and approximately 3,500 megawatts in development. David also represents developers of various real estate projects, often including tax-increment financing, tax credits and other unique financing mechanisms and structures. He also advises cities, counties and other governmental entities on a wide range of municipal law matters.
David is a registered lobbyist in the State of Nebraska. In early 2010, he successfully represented wind development interests in the drafting and negotiation of LB 1048, Nebraska’s “omnibus” wind export bill, which the Nebraska Legislature unanimously passed. In 2014, David led a group that successfully passed a 20 percent state tax credit for rehabilitation of historic buildings in Nebraska. In 2016, David played a central role in the development and passage of LB 824, which removes regulatory barriers to significant renewable energy development for export outside of Nebraska. In 2018, he helped lead a group that overhauled the state’s tax-increment financing statutes.
David has served as an Adjunct Professor in Land Use Law at the University of San Francisco School of Law, and has taught legal writing at Creighton University School of Law. He is admitted to practice law in California, Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska, and has earned the American Institute of Certified Planners designation, the City Planning profession’s highest level of certification. Since 2012, David has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Land Use & Zoning Law and Great Plains Super Lawyers in the practice are of Real Estate. In 2013, 2016, and 2023, David was selected as Best Lawyers Land Use and Zoning Law Lawyer of the Year. In 2015, the American College of Real Estate Lawyers elected him as Fellow.
Prior to joining the firm, David practiced land use and environmental law with a firm in San Francisco. Before beginning his legal career, he worked for seven years as a City Planner for the City and County of San Francisco. He is a native of Lincoln, Nebraska.
Areas of Practice
- University of California, Hastings College of Law, J.D., 1999
- University of California, Berkeley, Masters degree in City and Regional Planning, 1996
- University of California, Berkeley, Bachelor’s degree in Urban Studies, 1991
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Dr. Susan LaFlesche Picotte Center Board of Directors, Member (2021-Present)
- Benson Theater Board of Directors, Member (2021-Present)
- Douglas County Board of Health (ex-officio, non‑voting) (2020-Present)
- Omaha Housing Authority, Commissioner (NAHRO Commissioner Certification) (2015—Present), Vice-Chairman (2017—2018), Chairman (2018-Present)
- Douglas County Planning Commission (2016—Present), Vice-Chairman (2017—2021), Chairman (2021—Present)
- City of Omaha Administrative Board of Appeals (2007—Present), Vice-Chairman (2009—2016), Chairman (2016—Present)
- History Nebraska, Trustee (2019—Present), President (2022)
- The Nature Conservancy, Nebraska Chapter, Trustee (2019—Present)
- State Law Resources, Inc., Board of Directors (2013—2020), President (2018—2019)
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers, Fellow (2015—Present)
- Nebraska Association of Commercial Property Owners Board of Directors, (2013—Present)
- Omaha by Design, Board of Directors (2013—Present), President (2020—Present)
Bar & Court Admissions
- California, 1999
- Nebraska, 2006
- Iowa, 2009
- Kansas, 2021
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1999
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California, 1999
- United States District Court for the District of Nebraska, 2014
- United States District Court for the Central District of California, 2015