Effective legal representation in the health care industry requires a keen insight and understanding of the complex regulatory and competitive business environments in which health care providers operate. For more than 50 years, health care clients have trusted us to help them navigate the intricacies and nuances of the various health care legal and regulatory structures that impact their businesses.
Our health care practice group is focused exclusively on the success of our clients and their compliance with the many laws that impact their businesses on a day-to-day basis. We understand and appreciate the unique interrelationship among the provider, the patient, the practitioner, and the payor. We also understand the industry's reimbursement, compliance, enforcement, and tax environments, and the constant tension between the regulatory and competitive environment in which all health care providers operate.
Our health care practice group often serves as general counsel to our health care clients. As a full service firm, we have the depth of experience and the breadth of knowledge to assist our health care clients with all of their legal issues. We also serve as special counsel to our health care clients on specific issues and transactions and establish effective relationships with clients' general counsel.
Who We Represent:
We provide legal and business services to hundreds of health care organizations and providers throughout the nation and region, including:
- Hospitals and Health Care Systems
- Post-Acute/Long-Term Care Providers
- Physicians and other Practitioners and their Practice Entities
- Hospital-owned and Retail Pharmacies
- Accountable Care Organizations/Managed Care Organizations
- Federally Qualified Health Centers
We also provide advice to non-health care organizations when their business models or activities touch health care regulatory matters.
Just as our clients and the health care environment have evolved, so too have their legal needs and business interests. In addition to serving as general business counsel to our clients, areas in which our attorneys are frequently involved include:
- Stark and Fraud & Abuse Compliance
- Provider Investigations
- Repayments and Self-Disclosures
- Compliance Policies and Programs
- Physician Recruitment and Contracting
- Health Care Mergers and Acquisitions
- Medical Staff Disputes and Hearings
- HIPAA and HITECH Privacy and Security
- Meaningful Use
- 340B Pharmacy Program Compliance
- IRB/Clinical Research
- Tax-Exempt Health Care Issues
- 501(r) of the Internal Revenue Code
- Managed Care Contracting
- ACO Structures and Contracting
- Labor Relations and Employment Law
- Physician Immigration
We help our clients stay informed and current in an ever-changing regulatory environment. Our attorneys actively participate in, and speak extensively on a wide variety of health law matters to, national and regional industry and professional associations, including the American Health Lawyers Association and the Healthcare Financial Management Association. Our health law practice group also publishes a monthly Baird Holm Health Law Advisory that provides timely legal updates to our clientele. We also host an annual Baird Holm Health Law Forum that provides clients with insight into hot topics and key issues within the industry.